Sunday, August 20, 2006

Slang Part II

The more I chat and meet Aussies, the more slang I pick up.

Enjoy!

Arvo - the afternoon
Singlets -
girls' tank tops
Fortnightly - bi weekly
Off his/her/their chops
- Very drunk or incoherent for other illegal reasons :s
Gunted/munted - similar state of being to "off their chops"; used as an adjective
Root - umm... it's the reason Canadians are advised not to wear any "Roots" gear in Australia. Maybe you can look it up. I'd like to keep my blog PG
Sin bin - the penalty box
Shithouse - ahh.. I guess I broke the PG rule (but I still won't explain what root means). This means what it sounds like. For example, "My timetable for second semester is shithouse"
Rang him/her/them up - calling someone
Piking/piker - the act of making plans with people then backing out / someone who does said act
Paying out someone - giving them a hard time about something, i.e. for piking
Capiscum - bell peppers, you know the sweet ones that come in red, green and yellow
Lemonade - as in vodka lemondae means sprite or 7-up. Daniel told me a funny story about when he was in Canada and he ordered a vodka lemonade. The bar tender squeezed some lemons and added water and vodka to it!!! Being a true sport, he drank it anyway. haha... slang can get you in some funny situations.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the slang blogs

keep it up

D!

the5cientist said...

Funny!

There's something similar in Quebecois for piking: Shit en pelle. Literally means "Shit in the shovel"... but if someone flakes, you can say that he/she "shit en pelle".

Ahh who knew I'd miss the French already...

Paul