Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Hail in Sydney

Yesterday there was a freaky hail storm. In the span of 2 hours, the day went from clear, blue sky and warm temperatures, to a cloudy, dark day with thunder and lightening. I was caught in the beginnings of the rain when I finished class and came home. I was starving so I started cooking chicken soup. The 'rain' got louder and I thought, "shit! that's loud." But when I looked outside, the ground was covered in white stuff! I took the pot off the stove and ran to get my camera. It was crazy! It hailed for about 20 minutes. I saw other people in the village calling others on the phone and taking pictures. In almost no time, hail (bigger than pea sized pieces) blanketed the ground such that it seemed like snow. It was a mixture of hail and rain and something I've never seen happen before! Then shortly after, the sky was blue again and the sun was out! How freaky is that.

I saw on the news that the temperature in Sydney had dropped by about 10C (keep in mind, it was still way above zero) in 2 hours and a couple centimeters of rain had dropped in that time period. Roads were flooded and people were stuck! So here are the pictures... I couldn't believe it for myself. Apparently, Sydney spring weather is freaky like this and these types of hail storms happen a few times a year. It's even worse in New Zealand where you can experience all four seasons in the span of one day. I'm used to hail in the middle of a cold, bitter winter with snow and freezing temperatures. It felt like the Apocalypse!

Check out the Sydney Morning Herald article and pictures!




Views from the balcony

View from my bedroom window. A guy across the way was collecting the hail in a bucket.

No comments: