Thursday, August 10, 2006

Procrastinating...

Yes... I'm doing it again.

This time I'll regale the reader in some Aussie slang that I've picked up and /or noticed. There's tons more but this is what I can think of now. I'll update the list and keep it going...

- Reckon - example: "Do you reckon it'll rain tomorrow?"
- Uni (not school!)
- Mobile instead of cell phone
- "That/this is (insert adjective here) as" - example: "That new mobile is sweet as. That exams was hard as."
- Full on - example: "yeah, that assignment was full on"
-
Mate - used for both girls and guys
-
G'day - Hello
-
How ya goin'? - although it's a quesiton, unless you want to engage in a conversation, you just repeat it back. It's another way of saying hello
-
Prawn - not shrimp and they don't say "throw another shrimp on the barbie" although barbie means BBQ
-
Grog - booze
- Give it a go - give it a try
-
Good on ya - good for you
- eftpos - stands for something, not sure what, but it basically means debit or interac
-
have a piss on - putting someone down, arguing with them, or joking with them harshly (I think!)
-
the bin - the garbage
-
Schooner - a large glass of beer
-
Petrol - gasoline
-
Thongs - flip-flops (This is the most difficult to adapt to)
-
Whinge - complain
-
Chips - fries
-
Packets - chips
-
Tomato Sauce - ketchup
-
Hockey - Field hockey
-
Soccer - Soccer

I'm sure the Aussies that read my blog with have to correct me on some things. That's about all I can think up now. It's fun - it's like learning a new language in some ways. I did commit quite the slang faux-pas but it was with an UK student. We were walking in the rain a few weeks ago during the tour of the city and I said, "My pants are getting all wet". Well, pants mean underwear in the UK and I'm sure you can imagine what reference he made to that!

Anyway, as my roommate and his 10 friends continue to devise the rules and teams for their drinking game and watching downloaded Most Extreme Challenge episodes, I will continue to write my report on the cultural meaning of rugby. Yay... thursday nights ... :p

Thank God it's Friday tomorrow!

5 comments:

Monika said...

Hehehe, just wait you'll be saying trousers before you know it!

I enjoy reading about your adventures, keep on blogging!

Monika said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

LOL! Wet your pants.... Those brits.. Hilarious! Hehehe...

We'll miss laughing in the first row too! Maybe we'll recruit Andrew... Eeek!

I am living vicariously through you because I'm broke and will probably never go to Australia :(

Keep bloggin'!

Diana

Melanie said...

Sounds like you are having a great time!

If I ever get to go to Australia I'm sure these translations will be very helpful!

Keep writing! I love reading about your adventures!

Anonymous said...

what exactly were you thinking of when your pants got wet?

hehe

cool blog, regail us with more aussie slang!

D