Monday, August 07, 2006

Rugby, Party and Relaxing...

I had a pretty good weekend. Friday night I went over to Kristen's to watch Memoirs of a Geisha and then went for gelato. There are at least 3 gelato places within a kilometre of each other on King Street! It’s crazy. I had Tim Tam gelato which in the end, just tasted like regular chocolate with pieces of Tim Tam in it.

Then on Saturday morning, Kristen and I went shopping in Newtown for vegetables and it was pouring rain! Then I went to the Greater Public School rugby game for my Sport and Learning in Australia Culture class. I was waiting at the bus stop for a bus that I had just found out doesn’t run on weekends. I was running late and would have to take a bus to Central Station, then take a bus to the local park and walk for 10 minutes to the field. And it was cloudy out. As I waited, I noticed 3 others who were in my class. They were trying to figure out which bus to take them. I walked over to them and suggested to take a taxi since there were 4 of us, and the bus was taking a while. They agreed and sooner we were in a taxi introducing ourselves and getting to know each other. There was Julia and Avi from Jersey but who went to school Tennessee and Jenna who lived overseas until high school and was at Colby University. When we got to the High School, there was no one else in site. We were a bit early but were surprised there weren't even any coaches, or boys warming up. Through a series of phone calls, Jenna found out the game had been postponed to 3:15 and moved to another location. So we gathered others who were lost, found a guy to give us directions on the map and then started walking. It seemed like we were walking in circles and along the way we asked random people for directions. We ended up walking for an hour! Julia, Avi and I played the picnic game ("I'm going on a picnic and I’m going to bring...") that was fun and made the time go by quicker.

GPS Rudgy - Sydney Grammar School vs. Sydney Boys High
55-0 for SGS

Finally we arrived at the school, just in time for kick-off. We saw the boys do a little pre game cheer and then they were off. I never realized how rough and physical rugby was. Kudos to my little sis who plays! We sat between the two cheering crowds of schoolmates. We hear their little chants, some of which were similar to what you hear in North America. I took some pictures and then someone we were sitting with offered to take a picture of me. There was an oblong shaped ball hanging around, and Sarah (the red head in the picture) told me to pose with it. The school boys sitting behind us had a good laugh because the ball I picked up is used for Australian Rules Football and not Rugby.

Me and a Footy ball at a Rugby game (Sarah laughing on the right)

After the game, we avoided having to the 2 buses and just took a cab back to the Village (Jenna, Avi and Julia) live there as well. We went to Hoochie Mama's which is the bar/bistro on the grounds and we all had some dinner, chatted and a few others joined us.

It was around 8pm at this point and I had made plans to meet Kristen in Coogee for a party. So I went home called her and managed to arrange a ride with her roommate, Charlie, who was on the way there. So I basically changed my clothes, brushed my teeth and left! The party was a lot fun. I met Harri’s brother, Barlo, who was quite the joker and all there friends. We had wine and chips and played "I never ever" drinking game outside. It was rpetty funny, I lerned some interesting details about some of these strangers... what great first impressions! It was a lot of fun! Then when it started to rain we went inside. Barlo was hilarious as he made everyone take off their shoes before going inside! He also nicknamed me Ms. Canada and Kristina, Ms. Germany.
Barlo the infamous host who I learned a little more than I needed to know about him!

Two of the guys there are into DJing so some great music was played including No More Conversations and Superstylin’! And some mashups of random songs like Ghostbusters! We danced so hard, about 10 of us in a tiny living room, you could feel the floorboards shake beneath you and the shelves wobbled back and forth.

Me, Kristen and Kristina

Chris DJing with a Numark mixer (didn't seem very high tech David) and 2 Stanton turntables.

Me, Kristina, Harri, Kristen and Liz (Charlie's GF)

At around 1am, Charlie wanted to head back, so Kristen, Kristina and I jumped in the back. On the way we saw a crime scene, just outside a convenience store. There was a pool of blood on the pavement, 3 cop cars and a green plastic sheet to try to conceal the area. It was pretty scary – I’ve never seen so much blood!

Sunday, I relaxed and procrastinated. The weather was nice, but I just stayed home, being lazy, catching up on some homework and watching TV.

Here goes another week of school! No plans yet for next weekend, but they will come... I’ll have to make the most of the weekend and hopefully it doesn’t rain!

Tonight... dinner with Kristen and Kristina and I at some point have to start my rugby report :|

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes i totally rule for playing rugby!