Monday, October 16, 2006

They just love me too much

Yes... there has been another incident. This time, I was really disgusted and literally cried as I retold the story to David. Again, I was in the shower, minding my own business and there he was...on my hip!!! I brushed him away and then I couldn't find him again! They appear and disappear. I thoroughly checked the bathroom, the walls, the window sill, everything before starting the shower! Those little bastards are freaking me out! If I feel the slightest tickle or feeling anywhere on my body now, I instantly look and run my hand everywhere to get whatever it is off me... usually it's nothing. But I am starting to get cockroach paranoia. I can't even walk into a room without taking a quick scan of the wall. I'm scared to go to the toilet!

I went to Mitre 10 a hardware store and bought, Lure N Kill. They are little black plastic cases with pesticide that supposedly kills them. 5 are in the bathroom, 6 are in my room. Now I'll find dead cockroaches. But once I find a dead one, I'll let you know which is worse, but I reckon nothing can be worse than finding one your body in the shower! Wow, I just had a 'eureka' moment ... I wonder if it's my soap that is luring them. The Lure N Kill package said "now with a new honey and malt formula" and my soap is milk and honey! eep!! I'll have to test that theory and get to the bottom of this creepy cockroach conundrum!

On top of that, today I saw a Huntsman spider. It was on the wall in my classroom. I didn't even believe that it was real at first because it was so big... I thought it was a plastic toy. It was easily the size of my palm! I am not having very much luck with this pesky critters.

Aside from that the weekend was good. Spent all day at Bondi Beach on Saturday. It was 35 degree weather and I just suntanned and swam from 10am to 5pm. It was soooooo hot outside. I loved it! I did some reading, listened to music, took a nap. What a nice way to spend a hot day.

Then on Sunday, the weather changed drastically. It was cloudy and rainy and cold. But I went to Manly Beach for a field trip for my sports class. We saw the Nippers training session. The Nippers are little kids which train and compete from young ages surf life saving skills. They run relays, so surfing, swimming, other races and tons of beach stuff. It was really cute and a great way for kids to learn become familiar with the surf and the beach. It was pretty cool.

Then, my prof had organized surfing lessons for those interested. For $30 we got a surf board, a wetsuit and a 2 hour lesson. I had originally signed up, but with the crappy weather, I wasn't in the mood. But when it came down to decision time, and there were other students still going ahead with it, I joined in. We suited up, had some on sand instruction and then hit the waves. The waves, by the way, were huge! And there was a strong current.

Trying to gain balance just lying on the board was pretty tricky. I tried so hard to paddle toward the sand bank, by it was wide and clear that I have no upper body strength. The instructor kept having to push me. When the right wave was approaching, he'd turn me around and push me toward the way. Now come the part when I was supposed to get up on the board... but failed miserably! I tried a few times and even got up on my knees. But I kept losing my balance and forgeting what I was supposed to do. Near the end when I was sort of getting the hang of it, my arms were so fatigued I coudln't life my self up. I few times there when I fell into the water and waves crashed on top of me, I swallowed quite a bit of water and realized how dangerous it can be. The waves do really push you under. Nevertheless, I had a good time although I'm paying for it now, my shoulders and pain are in pain. And despite the weather being so cold, those wet suits are amazing - I didn't feel cold at all. But they sure aren't flattering. I'll definitely have to try it again, maybe when the ocean isn't so tumultuous.

Nippers training

I'm one of the heads poking out of the water.

That's me in the front on the left.

Lastly, today I went to the travel agent to start planning my 2 month tour of Australia. I'm so excited, I can't wait. I'll update you all sometime soon with my travel itenerary! yay!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is the deal with the cockroaches? I'd totally be scared to fall asleep because Lord knows my mouth will open at some point... OMG! What if you swallowed one? Or it went in your ear? Be careful... Mua ha ha!

Miss ya! Diana