Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Desert, Rainforest and Beach!!

Only 9 days left of class ... well not many classes left but a lot of reports to hand in... big fat design, and Enviro report, presentation for Bio-products and an essay for Sports.

In the midst of all this, I've been planning my trip around Australia. In the next 2 months I will be traveling up the outback, across to the rainforests, then down the east coast to see some of the most beautiful beached in the world! I'm sure some things will change as I meet people and think of other things to do. But I got a great deal on the tours and I'm doing a lot as you can see! I just really need to worry about half of my nights in accomodations and food.

Some things I'm really axcited for are the Outback tour. I read about Cobber Pedy and it's an old opal mine. Many of the houses, restaurants, churches, etc are in underground dugouts because it get so hot (up to 50C!) and also soooo cold at night. That will be very interesting to see I think. Then there's Uluru that majestic rock in the heart of Australia. Up toward Darwin I'll start to see rainforest. Loads of gorges and waterfalls. I am going at the start of rain season so hopefully it's not monson-like and the waterfalls are open. I'm sure I'll get to see some crocodiles. Then flying over to Cairns, and visiting Cape Tribulation and Daintree Rainforest. There I'll spend the night in the rainforest which is a few minutes walk to a beach! From Cairns I'll scuba dive on the Great Barrier Reef. Further south in Mission Beach, I'll be white water rafting and sky diving (and I'm already very nervous about it, but how could you pass up seeing the reef from 14, oooft and landing on the beach. (Just, don't tell my mother I'm doing that!) Then a relaxing 3 day cruise around the Whitsunday Islands. I suspect I'll be seeing a lot of blue seas and white sand for a while! Then to Fraser Island, an island completely made of sand, for a 3 day 4WD safari, camping out on the beach and exploring with a group of strangers! Then sea kayaking with dolphins. A surf camp over Christmas and then back to Sydney for NYE and then home.

I can't wait!! Just one minor issue.. hoping the Australian government grants me a visitor visa after my student one expires in mid December!

Now I just have to concentrate for 9 more days !

Also! A very BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY to David! It's the big 2-3! He's in Houston right now training for work. I miss him dearly and I wish I could with him on his birthday. I just hope he has a fantastic day and he knows I'm thinking of him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great holiday L!! Youre going to see so much! Can't wait to get intermittent emails, and see the pictures at the end!

And thanks for devoting the whole last paragraph to my birthday. Makes me feel really important!!

haha,

D