Friday, October 13, 2006

My Uninvited Shower Buddy

It was an incredibly hot day in Sydney - max of 35. I was really annoyed I had to go to class for a quiz, instead of lying on the beach, but that's not part of this story. Besides I'll be going to the beach tomorrow for another 35 degree day.

So I was taking a nice cool shower to refresh myself and of course, making my legs silky smooth for the beach. About half way through my routine, I glance down and see something dark on my leg, just next to the knee cap. It took a second for the gears in my head to start turning and after a closer look, I scream and shake my leg violently because right before my eyes was a COCKROACH!!

After taking a few deep breaths to relax and realizing how crazy I sounded screaming in the shower while my roomate and his friends were just outside in the living room, I frantically search the shower floor. I found him, crawling up the side of the door. I was disgusted! I couldn't believe what was happening. I didn't even feel him on my leg! ugh!! He was skinny and long with antenni just as long as his body. eeewwwwww!!!

I quickly finished showering, all the time keeping my eye on the little bastard, and then got the hell out of the bathroom! By then, he was half way up the shower door. When I returned moments later, thinking I had the courage then to kill him... he was gone.

Now you must be thinking I live in cockroach invested, dirty student housing. I have to admit, sometimes it gets dirty (old dished, food scraps, etc), but it's a modern building and believe me, the place I lived downtown in Toronto was worse (but then again, I did see a few mice in those times). We were actually warned of Sydney's little (or big!) cockroach population during orientation - the lady specifically said, it doesn't mean the place is dirty if you seen one or two. I've already seen them scurrying about at night on the sidewalks... some already meeting their fates. It's the norm with the hot weather. Today I am sure, many young cockroaches were born in Sydney. Two had already appeared in the second floor bathroom a few weeks ago - one of which I successfully killed via drowning a la hot water. I even spent some 30 minutes with my flatmates as they told me their cockroach stories.

I have been a feeling a little lonely since David left... especially tonight when I had mundane errands to run and felt like I should stay in and do some work. Perhaps I should take solice in the fact the cockroach was trying to be friendly. Maybe he could sense my loneliness from afar and came to keep me company. But geez, he was getting quite frisky there! Going half way up my leg and all, even before we had met!!

Haha... as I retell this story, I find it quite comical... almost surreal. It was really gross, but it was only one. I would have freaked out more had it been a spider. But god help me if I find a cockroach in my room or in my bed (as my flatmate has unfortunately experienced). I have to make sure I sleep with my mouth closed (don't want his buddies getting any funny ideas)!

Getting back to my daily life... that was quite the excitement in a dull night. I did laundry and some grocery shopping. Made a really nice chicken soup for dinner and next I will plan my travels around Australia. I need to book some tours that I want to do and also some flights and plan my budget.

Aside from all that, I have way too much school work. Only 2 weeks left and I cannot wait for them to be over. I can see the finish line!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

High five to that cockroach!!

D

Anonymous said...

how doe sone become an invited shower guest

Anonymous said...

they say when the end of the world comes coackraoches will survive (andLego)

Anonymous said...

control coackrach (bastards) by putting a plastic or tins over all drains

Anonymous said...

pur dowwn drain muratiac- acid (high chemistry) or, in a pinch, bleach

Anonymous said...

some things never change...

Anonymous said...

if you quash them the eggs will splatter so wash around the kill zone

Anonymous said...

how does one become an invited shower guest?

Anonymous said...

did you know that some people can smell cockroaches...they can enter an apt and KNOW by the smell that the creatures are around