Sunday, October 29, 2006

More slang and commonly used words

I've been meaning to update the blog with a post like this since I had been collecting a list of words for a while now. So here goes...

Chemist - that's the pharmacist or the pharmacy here
Carpark - parking lot
Dear - very expensive "That shirt is quite dear"
Bloke - a guy
Esky - a cooler
Cut - drunk
Rubbish - garbage
Goon - cheap boxed wine
Feral - gross or disgusting
Partner - means a boyfriend or a girlfriend - even in a heterosexual relationship
Jumper - sweater or sweatshirt
Disco nap - a nap you take before going out partying
Bogan / Hoon - a white trash Australian
Waffle - blabbing or saying something with many words -in particular when writing a report, thesis, etc. "Don't waffle, just get to the point"
Scull - chug
Besties
- best friends
Billy pot - pot to boil water, used when camping

Commonly Used Words
Far out
- No way
Massive - "I had a massive night yesterday"
Ages - a long time "That gospel took ages"
Yum - "that Thai food was yum"
So over it - like, "so sick of it" as in Design

I'm sure there are more and I'm sure I'm used to a lot of them by now. And I even catch myself saying these. I wonder if people in Canada will notice a slight difference when I return. Unfortunately, I won't return with an Aussie accent, I'll just come back with the usual "American" one. :)

No comments: