Friday, November 24, 2006

Cairns - Great Barrier Reef

I'm in Cairns now. Really cute city with heaps of hostels and backpackers. My hostel is right on the Esplanade and overlooks the lagoon/beach. Went scuba diving today and it was absolutely amazing and unforgettable. I hired an underwater camera and it was the best $45 I ever spent.

It was about a 1.5 hour boat ride. Some people got really sea sick. I was almost at the point of throwing up but was able to suppress it and then I felt totally better.
After a short briefing, we went on the dive at Michaelmas's cay. There were tons of birds and it smelt like fish. But the sand was white and we also did some snorkeling. The dive itself felt really weird feeling at first - a little claustrophobic and nerve racking. Had to get used to breathing through my mouth. 4 people when down at a time. Saw some really cool, colourful fish and corals and a turtle. We dove to around 6-7 m I think, for half hour. But that wasn't enough! So then I snorkeled and returned to the boat for lunch. We went to Hastings, another site at the reef and had the chance to dive again for $30 and I took it. In this area, the reef was much more vibrant and varied. Spent another half hour there. At one point there was a huge wall of coral on either side of me. It was amazing. I couldn't believe I was there - just a few inches away from fish and the largest living organism in the world that can be seen from spac. I snapped lots of pictures (300+) and some videos. It was great. Got to touch a big fat clam, a sea cucumber and other parts of the reef. I wish I could do it again. It was a 2 hour boat ride back and I felt a little sick, but managed to keep my food down. Overall a great day. Words can't describe.

So that's about it... tomorrow I go sightseeing at Fitzroy Island. And then the day after I go to the Rainforest and spend the night there.

Here are just a few pics - enjoy!!














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing pictures L! The camera was a brilliant idea! Looks like you had lots of fun! Keep it up,

Love David