Sunday, September 10, 2006

Another weekend comes... and goes...

Working hard during the week has its benefits... means I can let loose and party the entire weekend.

It’s been pretty rainy in Sydney which dampens the ‘sightseeing’ activities so that leaves partying on the agenda. Friday night I met up with Kristina and her boyfriend who is visiting from Germany. We met up in Leichthart which is the Little Italy of Sydney. It was a bit of an adventure getting there because Kristina told met to get off where all the buses stop. I assumed that to be the ‘end of the line’ so I stayed on the bus, by myself, until the bus stopped at the bus depot! It was a dark, garage for buses and I had no clue where I had gone. Plus there was a full moon out! I just walked toward the main street and turned right, which I quickly realised was the wrong way. And had to backtrack! Finally I met up with them at the Town Hall. We walked around to find a place to eat and we finally settled on a little place on the corner. They served THE BEST cheese bread… cheese, honey on toasted rye bread with chillies on top. The pasta and chicken were also very good. So yum! Too bad it was cold, because it was a really cute area with tons of Italian cafes and restaurants and shops. So because it was cold, and they were tired, we headed back toward the city.

I made plans to meet up with Mike to go out dancing since I was already out and there was no point going home early. So I went home, changed, had some shithouse wine and then met him in the city. We went to a bar/club called Civic Hotel (all the pubs are called ‘hotels’ like Imperial Hotel, Landsdown Hotel, Marlborough Hotel… yet they are not hotels, just happening bars with music and some dancing.) The place was small and cozy. Mike got us in for $10 with free coat check because he knew the girls at the front. Then after a drink we hit the dance floor. The music was incredible…funky dirty house with a bit of trance intertwined. We did not stop until 4am! The atmosphere and the vibe were awesome. Then we had a kebab (my first one!) and headed home.

The next morning I woke up late and met up with Carrie and her sister, Monica for a sushi lunch. I had met them last week at the AFL game. We had some great sushi in Newtown and then grabbed a coffee at Gloria Jeans. We met another Canadian waiting in line behind us; he was from Hamilton doing a med degree here! After sitting, drinking coffee and chatting, we walked around King St window shopping and looking for dresses, shoes, house décor, etc. I started to appreciate what Newtown has to offer in the way of clothing and shoes. I’ll have to go hit the shops later this week to get a dress for Alicia’s (my flatmate) 21st birthday. So after a nice little afternoon doing girly stuff, the rain really started to come down and Carrie and Monica went home.

It rained the whole night… such a bummer. And I had nothing to do. I was going to go to a drag show with Kristen and her friend who is visiting from the States, but she was tired and didn’t want to go. Carrie had invited me out to a pub that night, but I really wanted to save money and not being a big beer drinker, I passed. Having nothing to do, Mike invited me over to listen to some of his new records. So I did that, and Harri (Kristen’s roommate) joined us along with Mike’s roommates (Harri’s brother and boyfriend). So we sat around, chilling, chatting, laughing and listening to music. Then I headed home.

Sunday morning was a busy one, I did laundry and did some grocery shopping. I also chatted with David for a while. He booked his flight and is coming to Sydney!! I am so excited. He’ll be here for 3 weeks and I can’t wait to show him around! One of the weeks, we’ll be going to Melbourne to visit some friends we met on Contiki last year in Europe. It’s going to be so much fun – only 7 more days ‘til he gets here!

Then in the afternoon I went to Temple at V-bar, the fortnightly trance event. It was great to see the people I had met a month ago and also meet some new faces. The music was again, A-MAZE-ING! John Askew, a big DJ from the UK was spinning for a small, intimate crowd and it just had the best vibe. He played tech trance and some melodic stuff. The music kept me moving non stop for 3 hours! I would definitely go out to see him again. It was exactly the kind of stuff I love to listen and dance to. After some good dancing, I headed home because I was absolutely exhausted. Sunday nights are so depressing… knowing you’ll have to wake up early to go to uni and start another week of hell!

And again… as usual for these types of weekends I don’t have pictures. I’m a little shy with getting pictures when no one else is flashing the camera. But I have to get over that, especially when I’m traveling later this year. So here are some random pics that I did manage to take.


Dressed up to party on Friday night

Me being super excited that David is coming

A really eerie park I passed in Leichthart. Seemed like a good photo op withthe full moon in the back.

Town Hall in Leichthart

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so much fun to see your trip, and Gma and I enjoyed hearing the ocean...but i thought Lillian was scared of spiders...and there she is with a big huge snake